Going for a first date can be pretty intimidating for most people. Your mind may be overcome with fears and insecurities. You may be afraid of rejection, failure, saying the wrong things and coming across like a loser in front of your date. In this context you would really love to know what are some good questions to ask your partner on your first date.
TIP: If 20 questions are too few, try . Recommended if you're considering someone for a long term relationship.
Though most of us have the capacity for smooth, easygoing conversation with friends and family we maybe tongue-tied on a first date. This could be a pretty embarrassing situation. You could take a hard copy of prepared list of questions, which is simply gauche and shows your lack of confidence and good manners.
On the other hand some men complain that women are ballistic, bombarding them with personal questions and often putting them on the defensive. Some women may be inquisitive by nature and may adopt a confrontational style on the first date itself. Men are advised to adopt humor to deflect such questions and women are asked to steer clear of such questions if they don’t want to see their first dates bolting at the slightest chance.
So, what are some good questions to be fielded around on a first date? Here are twenty such conversation ideas:
1) What is the sort of relationship you are looking for and why
According to some relationship experts this is the most important question to ask on a first date. Once this is asked, it is out there, making it evident to you what you are getting into. You put your profile, on the dating site. In your profile you clearly mention that you are looking for a committed relationship. Now after you meet someone who is positive, you have to pop the big question nonchalantly into the conversation. Your tone must not be inquisitional or confrontational. After you get the answer you must double-check by asking, why? These are good questions on the first date because you don’t want to go on a boat ride with both of you rowing in opposite directions.
2) What do you think is the biggest mistake that men/women make in their relationships?
The answer to this question will reveal what turns him/her off about people and what are his/ her ideas about men and women.
3) What are the qualities of your ideal relationship
This is one of the good questions to ask on a first date. Men and women reveal what they are looking for in life, what kind of relationships they expect out of each other and the marriages that they dream of.
4) Have you ever had your heart broken?
The more attractive/defensive the person the more likely the answer will be, 'No'. But a majority of honest individuals will say 'Yes'. This reveals their humility.
5) What scares you the most about opening your heart to your partner?
This is a question to break the defenses of your date and lay his/ her feelings bare, so that you grow closer emotionally.
6) Has any book or movie made an impact on you?
Book and movies are important influences of popular culture and you can have an interesting and animated discussion on books and movies that inspired or influenced you. This is a good question to ask on a first date..
7) What is the most annoying thing that someone could do to you?
You could share a laugh about what annoys you in other people and get to know others likes/ dislikes better.
8) If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
This helps you discover what drives him or her - money/ adrenaline/domestic bliss.
9) What do you like to do for fun?
This will help you to know if you can share leisure activities. Also, whether he/she is an indoor/ outdoor person.
10) What is the biggest mistake that people make on a first date?
Lets you into trade secrets of the opposite gender.
11) What do you look for in a guy/ girl?
These questions, along with the previous, one are good questions to ask on a first date. It will reveal the dreams and romantic aspirations of the person… But some may deflect honest answers by saying the usual, like," Good looks, sense of humor". etc.
12) Define a truly successful relationship
An ideal answer would be one where both men. as well as women share responsibility/credit for success.
13) What happened with your lastrelationship?
You can look for danger signs like blaming and whining rather than owning up half the responsibility for a doomed relationship, which reveals a lot about the person’s nature.
Here are some unique, fun and good questions to ask on your first date:
14) What were your life-changing moments?
15) What is the weirdest thing about you?
16) Are you cheap or thrifty?
17) Which is the one book that has really impressed you?
18) Would you have plastic surgery done on your body?
19) What was your most embarrassing moment?
20) Tell me about your family/ best friend.
These are some good questions to break the ice on your first date and lead you to possibly a second, third and more dates. After a few dates, the conversation will flow smoothly!!